Have you had a positive COVID-19 test or positive antibody test? Please consider donating your blood or plasma. For more information, please click here.
- Distinguished Professor Ralph Green – he has been designated a “World Expert” in vitamin B deficiency by Expertscape.
September 30, 2020
- Faculty Konstantinos Zarbalis’ and Ralph Green’s new publication in Cerebral Cortex demonstrates that excessive dietary folate can be as damaging to neurodevelopment as folate deficiency.
September 24, 2020
- Medical student Brandon Fennell and faculty mentor Hooman Rashidi developed a flashcard app program complement Rashidi's HematologyOutlines interactive online atlas.
September 23, 2020
- On September 23, 2020, Professor Nam Tran spoke in a webinar for the American Association of Clinical Chemistry on “Current State of COVID-19 Point-of-Care Testing: Blood Gases, Biomarkers, and Future Directions.”
September 8, 2020
- Biorepository manager Irmi Feldman was featured in a new series "Biobanking Conversations" from OpenSpecimen.
September 3, 2020
- Academic Pathology’s most read and most cited article for the past 6 months is the review article on AI/ML authored by many members of our department and published one year ago.
- Clinical lab science student Kelsey Mifflin is the recipient of the 2020-21 Michael Inn Award for outstanding professionalism and for going above and beyond training expectations.
- On August 20, Assistant Professor Brittany Dugger discussed statistical methods in Alzheimer’s disease and other neurodegenerative diseases and her recent book with co-author, Dr. Jeffrey Wilson at Arizona State University live on Alzheimer’s Speaks Radio.
- FASEB’s Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 and One-Carbon Metabolism Virtual Conference on August 17-19 featured talks by Ralph Green on “Contemporary diagnosis of vitamin B12 deficiency” and Kostas Zarbalis who presented “Deficient or excess folic acid supply during pregnancy alter cortical neurodevelopment in mouse offspring.”
- During the August 12 visit from Cmdr. Matthew Johns MPH, US Public Health Service Regional Health Administrator on August 12, Hooman Rashidi and Imran Khan shared their machine-learning COVID-19 predictive analytics project in Pakistan funded by World Bank, and Nam Tran shared the department’s COVID testing accomplishments and future plans.
- The Hans Popper Hepatopathology Society's July Case of the Month was contributed by resident Alison Chan and faculty member Karen Matsukuma.
August 4, 2020
- MILO, the machine learning optimizer co-invented by faculty Hooman Rashidi and Nam Tran, has been licensed by MDLogix and is featured in a recent UCD Health article.
- Associate Professor Nam Tran and Assistant Professor Kristin Grimsrud and their work to fight COVID-19 are featured in UCD Health’s "Cultivating Health" blog.
- Adjunct Professor Krish Krishnan received a new Bridges to Doctorate Program (NIH T32) which provides two years of tuition plus $25,000 to under-represented minority students to complete their M.S. at Fresno State University before joining a Ph.D. program in biomedical research at Davis.
- Senior Director of Clinical Pathology Nam Tram describes best practices for COVID-19 test collection in this Sacramento Bee article.
- Assistant Professor Brittany Dugger and her machine learning work is featured in a recent video in the Cultivating Health blog series from UC Davis Health.
July 9, 2020
- Chair Lydia Howell began a two-year term as president of the Association of Pathology Chairs.
- Professor Nam Tran participated in a panel discussion on serologic testing for COVID-19 for Medscape.
- Professor Alexander Borowsky’s recent lecture at the inaugural virtual Immuno-oncology 2020 meeting in June is now available on-demand.
- UCD Health’s annual Quality Forum featured five posters authored by members of the department. Topics including implementation of high-sensitivity cardiac troponin, use of error tracker for FDA compliance in transfusion, frequency of Her-2 discordance, new platforms for Quantiferon-Gold testing.
- Assistant Professor and Transfusion Director Sarah Barnhard has been elected Secretary of the Medical Staff, beginning the path to serving as Chief of Staff in a few years.
- Director of Neuropathology Lee-Way Jin is the 2019-20 recipient of the Dean's Award for Excellence in Mentoring in Research
June 3, 2020
- Professor emeritus Jerry Kost has received a 2020-21 Fulbright Award for his project “Preparedness, Point-of-Care, and Resilience: Stopping Outbreaks and Assuring Equitable Care for Island and High-Risk Association of Southeast Asian Nations”.
- Associate Dean of Curriculum Kristin Olson received the Basic Science Teaching Award from the School of Medicine’s Class of 2020.
- The Chief of the Medical Staff Joanne Natale honored two department faculty members with awards for their exemplary leadership: Sarah Barnhard for cultivating reliable, safe, and dependable transfusion services, and Nam Tran for establishing world-class COVID-19 testing.
- The molecular pathology team performed its 10,000th test for SARS-CoV-2 just three months after relaxation of federal regulations permitting testing by university laboratories.
- Richard Levenson received a COVID Catalyst award for his project “Intra-nasal chitosan for COVID-19” from the Center for Emerging and Neglected Diseases at UC Berkeley.
- Director of Transfusion Medicine Sarah Barnhard is featured in an online video for UCDavis Live describing treatment for COVID-19 with convalescent plasma.
May 1, 2020
- Assistant Professor Kristin Grimsrud is participating in preclinical testing of immune response from VaxiPatch, a single-dose vaccination kit that uses a dermal patch with a metal microneedle array to deliver vaccines against SARS-CoV-2. Dr. Grimsrud is the lead scientist at the Mouse Biology Program.
- Assistant Professor David Unold is the co-principle investigator on an expanded access protocol approved by the US Food & Drug Administration to treat hospitalized COVID-19 patients with plasma donated by previously infected patients.
- On April 22, 2020, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention's Project Echo featured a presentation on Hematopathology & Machine Learning by Vice Chair of Graduate Medical Education and Informatics Hooman Rashidi!!
- Vice President Pence highlighted UC Davis as a leader in establishing coronavirus testing in the state of California at his press conference on April 20, 2020.
- HemeQuiz 1, an app created by our very own residency program director Hooman Rashidi, is now ranked #79 among all medical apps.
- Distinguished Professor Ralph Green helped create a pop-up lab for UC Berkeley's Innovative Genomics Institute SARS-COV-2 Testing Consortium. The story behind their rapid 3-week transformation of a research lab into a clinical laboratory was published in Medrxiv.
April 22, 2020
- On April 4, Governor Gavin Newsom announced a partnership with UC Davis and UC San Diegoto create COVID-19 testing hubs throughout the state of California. Senior Director of Clinical Pathology Nam Tran has been appointed to a task force to oversee this effort.
- Chair Lydia Howell and Senior Director of Clinical Pathology Nam Tran share the significance of the new COVID-19 test offered at UC Davis Health.
- Assistant Professor John Paul Graff and the hematopathology team describe unusual hematologic findings in the first community-acquired COVID-19 infection in a report published in the American Journal of Hematology.
- On April 1, the Wall Street Journal featured the availability of COVID-19 testing at UC Davis Health In a news article.
- Department chair emeritus George Lundberg shares his life story and views on the future of pathology in the March 2020 issue of the ASCP's publication The Pathologist.
- In-house COVID-19 testing developed by the department and exceptional effort by laboratory staff allowed three patients to receive life-saving kidney transplants.