UC Davis School of Medicine K-12 Outreach
Javon Young—Our Mentee Is On His Way To College and Medical School
Click to learn more »
To amplify exposure, cultivate interest, and provide tools, resources, and guidance to pathways into careers in health for students who are educationally and socio-economically disadvantaged.
The K-12 Outreach Programs at UC Davis School of Medicine sponsors and supports a variety of programs and opportunities year-round that allow students to develop and sustain an interest in medicine and science while promoting early college preparation and readiness.
Housed within the Office of Student and Resident Diversity, the K-12 Outreach Programs mark the first step in the pathway effort to produce a workforce of health workers that reflects diversity and will reduce health disparities in their various fields and the communities in which they will serve.
The programs offer opportunities in person at the School of Medicine, within the community, virtually, as well as online communications that are structured to provide mentorship, build leadership, expand networks, and provide support for K-12 students, K-12 program alumni, as well as medical student mentors to expand on the development of the skills necessary for success in both academic pursuits as well as professional development towards careers in health.
- There is no cost to participate.
- Meet health professionals along with current medical students, resident physicians, and other trainees.
- Network with other high school students who are also interested in careers in health.
- Learn about different career pathways in healthcare.
- Learn to effectively work in teams to produce a research presentation.
- Learn to develop a research question and the skills to examine public health issues in your community.
- Gain leadership skills to begin your journey as scholars in health.
- Participate in fun and interactive virtual activities.
Program applicants must:
- Be in 9th-12th grade
- Have interest in medicine or health
- Come from a disadvantaged, underrepresented, or rural background
- Be committed to attend orientation and all program sessions
Spring 2022 Program Dates
- Parent & Student Orientation (by Zoom)
- Date: Tuesday, February 15, 2022
- Time: 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm
- All 6 Saturday Program Sessions (by Zoom)
- Session 1: Saturday, February 19, 2022
- Session 2: Saturday, February 26, 2022
- Session 3: Saturday, March 19, 2022
- Session 4: Saturday, March 26, 2022
- Session 5: Saturday, April 16, 2022
- Session 6: Saturday, April 30, 2022
- Session Times: 8:30 am – 1:30 pm
Spring 2022 Program Application
- Click HERE to apply
- Application Opens: December 10, 2021
- Application Deadline: January 14, 2022 by 5:00pm
For questions regarding HEALTH Equity Academy, contact Larly Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The goals of HEALTH EQUITY ALUMNI NETWORK are to continue to serve Health Equity Academy Scholar Graduates by providing them:
Support: Disseminating resources, webinars, conferences, and scholarship opportunities.
Guidance: Disseminating, general, but timely recommendations for next steps pathway information into medicine from various pre-healthpoints throughout training (i.e.,high school, college,graduate, and post graduate education).
Mentorship: Linking students tofaculty, medical students, staff, mentorship, while promoting opportunities to peer mentor current HEALTH students that are in prior points in the pathway.
- Connection: OSRD pathway programs, the SOM, partner programs, like-minded students.
HEALTH EQUITY ALUMNI NETWORK LEADERSHIP
Laura Kester Prakash, MD, MPH
Director of K-12 Outreach Curriculum
Patricia González, M.A.Ed
Larly Lee, MA
Early Academic Preparation Coordinator
(she, her, hers)
Pre-Health Outreach Student Liaison
HEALTH ALUMNI NETWORK CONTACT INFORMATION
Please contact us with any questions, concerns, or updates at: email@example.com
It is never too early to start your career pathway…
The program coordinator works with the UC Davis School of Medicine Student Interest Groups and Pre-med/Pre-health students from UC Davis to provide the following services based on availability:
- Classroom visits (presentation or workshop on various topics)
- College Fairs
- Career Days
Book a Tour
The Outreach Team hosts tours of the UC Davis School of Medicine for interested high school and community college student groups. Click to reserve your spot on a tour.
For specific questions regarding Health Equity Academy or HEALTH Equity Alumni Network, please contact:
For inquiries regarding the K-12 Outreach Programs, please contact:
Office of Student Resident Diversity
For inquiries regarding the UC Davis Main Campus, please contact:
Monday - Friday, 10:00am - 4:00pm